Saturday, October 18, 2008

For the Purposes of Introduction

I've never been good at updating blogs. I'm too busy, I'm too lazy, I'm preoccupied with watching Veronica Mars on DVD for the 40th time... you know, things come up. However, I've recently realized that, quite frankly, I have a lot opinions about things. In fact, "a lot" may be an understatement. And so, with the intention of rescuing my friends and family from my constant rants on topics ranging from Sarah Palin to the state of academia to television/the media to feminism in all its forms, I've decided to give this blogging thing another try. We'll see how it goes.

So, to employ the absolutely most cliche way possible to start a blog, let's have a little visit from dictionary.com, shall we?

dis·rupt
–verb (used with object)
1.to cause disorder or turmoil in: The news disrupted their conference.
2.to destroy, usually temporarily, the normal continuance or unity of; interrupt: Telephone service was disrupted for hours.
3.to break apart: to disrupt a connection.
–adjective
4.broken apart; disrupted.

There's a reason I chose to call this little project "Disruptive Feminist." As a first year master's student in Women's and Gender Studies, I'm realizing more than ever that the more I learn, and the more I read, the less able I am to look at the world the same way. Shit's complicated, you know? Pretty much everything in our society is a lot less self-evident than we're taught to see it. So maybe this blog can disrupt some of the daily assumptions about things we take as normal or obvious. That's a lofty goal. Maybe it will just help me work out the constant rethinking and unknowing going on in my own brain.

Or maybe I'll just use it to post some funny links. Guess we'll find out.

No comments: